Thursday, 25 April 2013

Kids Are Primates Too!

Last class in science, we visited the second graders during their lunch recess, and observed them. We had wanted to get some practice for observing primates. We had to choose one specific focal "animal" and monitor their movements and actions. There were two main things that made it difficult to make notes. One was the noise level, they were shrieking and screaming, most of us found it hard to concentrate. Another thing was that they moved around and ran around out of sight. As soon as I would find my focal person and make a few notes, my focal person would have already disappeared. I overcame this challenge by making sure I didn't sit down, I instead was moving around to make sure I got the notes I needed. There was no way to combat the noise level, and after the first few minutes, It becomes easier to concentrate.
When we go to the zoo, I am going to make notes on how to identify my focal point so I do not get confused, and I am going to move around so that I do not lose track of my focal point. 

1 comment:

  1. I understand what you meant about active running around, one moment they are right in front of you the next they are on the opposite of the playground. The noise level was also a problem for me to but we have to understand that they are just living in their normal ways.

    ReplyDelete